Saturday, September 8, 2012

Union Cafe

Visited Fri Sept 8th  6pm

Union Cafe is located at the end of a strip mall and while the outside is not much to talk about. The inside is very nicely appointed. 


The dining area is a mixed of tables and booths, bathed in soft light that forms a pleasant environment.  The Bar is setup with stools and booths.  There were a lot more people in the bar then the dining room and at one point there were more patrons at the Bar then there were bar stools.  This night, I would have to say, attacked and older crowd.  Lighting in Bar was good during daylight hours, but at dusk the house lights were lowered and the Bar had unpleasant Neon glow from numerous beer signs hanging over head.  The Bar top had a cardboard box sitting on it all night,  Not a big deal, but shows a lack of detail. Also, the temperature in the Bar was a little warm and my wife questioned weather we should stay.  30 minutes later the owner turn the temp down and by the time we left the air temperature was adequate.

Started the evening with the standard Daiquiri order.  As could be expected the Bar Server was taken back by my request.  She called for the Bar Manager, who ask me how to make a Daiquiri and then proceeded to deliver the weakest drink I ever been served.  My wife had the same complaint about her Cosmopolitan.  After that bad experience I ordered a Rum and Coke.  Guess what, "No Coke just Pepsi."  Now I understand that the owner my have and alliance with a certain vendor, but when a drink has a name like Jack and Coke, Rum and Coke, it needs to be made with Coke.

The meal I ordered was very good, but took a long time to be served, which would explain why the temperature was not up to snuff.  But, if your looking for great Beef Tenderloin cooked to perfection, a baked Potato with a tender skin fully cooked moist center with just the right amount of fixins, Union Cafe is your place.  Had the meal been served in a timely manner I would have awarded this dish five stars.

I've been disappointed by food at Union in the past, but tonight the food was excellent.  With improvements in service and the Bar this could a premier dinning and drinking spot.


Service **
Food ****
Beverage **
Atmosphere ***

Five * is the very best.

No comments:

Post a Comment